Friday 21 February 2014


My minor and major project have quite a clear progression from one to the other. For my minor project was the experimentation with charms and materials, working small, finding my feet, testing the elements. Working with macrame, painting stones, resin, tassels, paper rolling, making my own beads. This led on to a breakthrough moment with the use of wrapping and the figure of 8 wrap around chain, propelling me into my major project. I experimented with the idea of line through chain wraps keeping a strong element of fun with the proposed outcome of pushing the work for my live brief, the L'aiguille en Fete in Paris. My major project became a feed for my live brief and therefore on the deadline of the live brief, it slightly felt like my major project had concluded to give way for the next part. I had been growing increasingly interested in constructing headwear, the idea of chained cages upon which to embellish and adorn. For unit X I intend to carry through the part of the project I have already embarked upon, inquiring into head wear and masks. Head cages and veils. Experimenting more with the application and the embellishment. Revealing and Concealing the face.

I think I have worked well through this project and although it took me a while to find my feet, this can really be seen through the progression of my work. I am beginning to get quite a clear idea of where I want to take my work in the future and am looking forward to Unit X, where I will continue the progression of the phase of the project I have already started.

With a growing relationship with materials I have more and more references to refer back to in the coming project. Many of the techniques I have used in this project I hope to utilize in the next and by keeping technical notebooks both to help me think and to construct plans and record processes, this should aide me.

Contextual references and inspiration are important for me in my working progress. At the beginning of this project I don't feel I cast my net wide enough, not studying a varied or extreme enough artists/designers. As the project continued I feel I began to see this and alter it accordingly.

For Unit X I need to improve on my photography skills and start photographing my pieces upon the body, something that I haven't utilized enough in this project. I think by doing this I can start to look at the styling and visualization part of my work, experimenting with how I want it to be portrayed. I also want to play with a more handcrafted idea of visualization, experimenting with collage, to propose an idea of head wear without it being too literal.

No comments:

Post a Comment