Friday 14 February 2014

Luetton Postle


Leutton Postle

craft contained.

Leutton Postle are a knitwear brand whom launched their first collection at London Fashion Week in September 2011. Although they are a knitwear brand they have a strong focus on craft and claim to be "unlimited" by trend.

It is this craft led element that really intrigues me. Their work is fun and colourful and full of textures and surfaces. I think their audience is where I see my own practice, high fashion for primarily womanswear, for a customer not afraid to be bold with colour and striking with their appearance.

I would also like to collaborate with brands like this, with a similar ethos, working on the jewellery/accessories side of it.

http://leuttonpostle.com/leutton-postle-aw12-backstage/


 http://leuttonpostle.com/wp-content/uploads/photo_39-1200x1600.jpg

When Sam Postle from Leutton Postle came in to give a talk on their brand one of the things that really stuck in my mind was this idea of the pyramid, how they do their pricing and making accordingly. That as a design company you need to have a range of prices and accessibility. So at the bottom of the pyramid you have lots of the less expensive range, allowing for people who aren't so well off to still be able to invest in your brand. Then at the very top of the pyramid, have a show stopper of a piece but only have one or two of the them, that are priced at a much grander amount, for the workmanship accordingly.

I thought it was a very good way of describing it and a good model to work by, especially as new designers. Creating a couple of showstoppers to get yourself noticed but also having more accessible wearable items. A good economical model and a good customer model.

This is something I want to investigate in my own practice and something I think that will really push me to both consider the customer and the experimental nature of the show stopper.

No comments:

Post a Comment