Saturday 17 May 2014

Karen Nicol

Earlier in the year, in the previous project, there was a talk given by the textile artist and designer Karen Nicol. Specializing in machine embroidery, Nicol has worked with many fashion designers, working as the embroidery designer, helping to form spectacular pieces.

I found the whole talk fascinating and very relevant.
Once the talk was finished Karen had some of her work laid out and she stuck around to talk a bit about it. What I found to of been the most interest was her idea of a portfolio. She keeps a large sketchbook, full of samples, roughly and accessibly applied. To allow any potential client to really get an idea of what she is about.





Although the work is not personally up my street, I really admire her and how she goes about the job she does.
For my portfolio I want to replicate the idea of this, having a book/box of tactile taster samples as well as a portfolio of artistically applied photographs. For assessment this will be unfeasible due to the fact that my samples are part of my final outcome, but it will be something I will take forward with me into the future. I want to begin to build up a book like this, a book of beautiful embellishment and fun. A portfolio in construction, growing and multiplying. Something I will then take around to prospective employers or clients to showcase a good representation of myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment