Monday 7 April 2014

Skull caps


I have been finding this project difficult due to the prospect of possibility and time constraints. The unlimited possibilities of technique and outcome have been bounding me rather than liberating me.

I have therefore decided to embark on a prospective outcome and from there within these chosen constraints I can allow myself to experiment along its design journey.

That chosen outcome is the idea of a cutwork form of skullcap through using the techniques of free machine embroidery and bonding.

Upon looking up the definition of veils, I came across the definition of "Protection from the elements". From this I was inspired to use this to become, protection from the elements with the elements. Using an elemental symbology to construct a skull cap and attachable veils.


TO WRITE A NEW MANIFeSTO

a childlike naivety
a DIY aesthetic
painterly
an element of fun
edges are important
head cages and harnesses

Veil definition - For protection from the elements

Protecting with the elements,
Protection, shield, cushion, screen












Endeavors in free machine embroidery cut work for the skull cap. The above images are for a calico toile, where I was attempting to work out the shape and form that the cap would make, using a pattern of sunshines and demon explosions. This has half worked, although the wadding applied has not given it enough bounce which has also resulted in making the form too stiff, it doesn't flow with the head. This will have to be something which is addressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment