Thursday 24 April 2014

Matisse

Over the Easter break I was able to visit the Matisse exhibition at the Tate Modern.


There is a certain symbology to Matisse's cut outs, without the use of detail, Matisee utilizes the positive and the negative space to provoke the design and intrigue.

They contain a form of landscape abstractions but also transport you to within a new alternative landscape. Symbolizing coral/leaf algee like forms, fruits, fish, birds and the presence of a human touch, it almost becomes a mystical pretense.

A certain symbology and an un-eveness, imperfections welcome.

I was surprised by the show, it felt a lot more relatable and human but still in a sensational manner. It inspired me to be more bold and experimental with my application to cut outs, the possibility of layering up and how well this could translate into fabrics.


An attempt for me to start to rationalize this application into my own fabric samples, utilizing the cut and imperfect finish, something I will explore more during this project.

No comments:

Post a Comment