Thursday 10 October 2013

Charms.
A beginning point
 To start my advancements into the idea of the spirit and the charm I decided to look at an object that I bought back with me from my travels. To see if i could visually dissect and imitate it, then giving me  the skills to build.
From a street seller in Bangkok we came across these "lucky" necklaces, where he had taken a series of charms, precious stones and Buddha offerings, created a sort of cage like pocket, a safety net, for which the object to sit in, before using a macrame technique to create the fastener of the charm. By firstly imitating it I could then move on to try it out with different materials and colour combinations. Looking at using wire, plastic ribbon and embroidery thread.






An interesting point of view that came to light through these constructions was the use of the ribbon to imitate a metal like appearance. I have been doing a lot of research into jewelers and jewellery design and one thing I have been finding of difficulty is alot of work i find interesting is metal work. This is a skill I currently don't have access to but instead of spending time wishing on metal, I should be spending time dreaming up alternatives, something that could potentially spark far more intrigue. These above charms I think move in that direction and fitting with my brief of using accessible materials. But I am unsure as to how to take these charms forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment